Cold is something that one can do nothing to avoid. Whoever has said that you can do nothing to prevent flu, couldn’t have been more correct. It is true that we can do nothing to prevent its occurrence because it can affect anyone. Most of the times we get cold because of a sudden change in weather or when we keep oscillating between places with temperature differences.
Suppose, you come back from the afternoon heat and enter your home and turn on the air conditioner immediately. That’s it; you have successfully created the most conducive environment for you to catch cold. This is because, our body doesn’t get enough time to adapt to the temperature changes and this is exactly when the viruses around, end up attacking us. The result? Headache, runny nose, headache, high fever, sore throat, incessant coughing, and so on.
While there’s nothing you can do to effectively cure cold, there are cures that one can follow to treat the symptoms that come along with a cold. There’s nothing alarming about normal flu; however, if left untreated, it can turn into something as severe as bronchitis, strep throat, or pneumonia. Without jumping on heavy antibiotics, you can try to go for several home remedies that can provide you with relief from the symptoms of common cold, that too without side effects! In this article, we will tell you about some of the most amazing natural remedies, for treating cold.
Garlic is one of the best kept secrets when it comes to home remedies for it is loaded with several antibacterial and antiviral properties. It can be extremely helpful in getting rid of symptoms related to flu. It improves your immune system and helps in clearing your respiratory passages, and also flushes toxins out of your body.
- Just take one crushed garlic clove and mix it with two teaspoons of lemon juice, one teaspoon of honey, and half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper or red chili powder. Consume it daily till you start feeling better.
- Take four to five garlic cloves and boil it in a cup of water and add one teaspoon of honey to it. Drink it at least 2 to 3 times a day.
- Additionally, you can also consume raw garlic or put a few drops of garlic oil in your food and drinks till your symptoms of cold start subsiding.
Honey can soothe your sore and affected throat amazingly and can at the same time reduce the lifespan of cold. This is possible because honey is packed with several nutrients and enzymes that help in battling cold by killing the viruses and bacteria that cause the infection.
- The easiest way to have honey during cold is by taking a teaspoon lemon juice and mixing it with two teaspoons of honey. Have it every two hours to get relief from cold and sore throat.
- You can also swallow a spoonful of raw honey to get similar benefits.
Ginger is very helpful in treating common cold and the symptoms that come along with it. This is possible because it is loaded with antiviral, expectorant, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Consume raw ginger or drink ginger tea as many times a day as possible. For added benefits, add lemon juice and honey to it.
- Make a paste of ginger, cloves and salt and keep it handy. Have one and a half teaspoon of this paste two times a day to treat your cold.
- If you are suffering from runny nose, mix equal amounts of dry ginger powder, ghee, and jiggery. Have this mixture every day in the morning on an empty stomach to get rid of runny nose at the earliest.
Masala Chai or Spice Tea
- Dry roast and grind a quarter cup of coriander seeds, one and a half tablespoons of cumin and fennel seeds, and one fourth teaspoon of fenugreek seeds.
- Boil a cup of water and add one and a half tablespoon of the about made spice powder to it.
- Put one and a half teaspoon of rock candy or misri to it as well. Let the water simmer for a few minutes.
- Add two tablespoons of milk to it; bring the solution to a boil and then strain it.
- Have this masala chai every day till the symptoms of cold subside.
Taking steam can also soothe your system by loosening the phlegm inside your throat. Simply stand in the bathroom with hot water running. You can also heat water in a wide bowl and then inhale the hot fumes for at least 10 to 15 minutes. For better results, you can add eucalyptus oil to it. So, these were some of the most effective home remedies to get rid of common flu. Try them to soothe your system and get better at the earliest.