Use these 6 home remedies to control hair fall to get gorgeous, strong hair without splurges at the salon! Hair fall plagues us all, irrespective of gender and age. Although it is considered normal to lose up to a hundred strands of hair per day, sudden and excessive hair loss can be a cause for worry, and may be a symptom of an underlying problem – nutritional deficiencies, scalp health, stress, hormonal imbalance, prolonged illness and medication.
Other common causes include medication, thyroid disorders, fungal infections, pregnancy, excessive intake of Vitamin A, Vitamin B deficiency, autoimmune diseases, dramatic weight loss and polycystic ovarian syndrome. In any of the above cases, it is advised to seek professional medical help. Here are some common causes of hair fall.
- Lack of Proper Nutrition: deficiency of proteins, iron and essential vitamins can cause a slowing down of hair growth, and excessive shedding of hair
- Aging: As one ages, the body’s capacity to absorb nutrients decreases. Hair requires twenty two amino acids to grow, and a lack of these amino acids causes the hair to appear thin and become brittle
- Hormonal Changes: Hair fall or alopecia can take place due to hormone irregularity. Female pattern of baldness occurs when the dihydrotestosterone (DHT) levels increase in the scalp.
- Stress: Stress-induced hairfall is commonly manifested as one of three forms
- Telogen Effluvium – Stress pushes the hair follicles into arresting phase. After a few days you will notice hair fall
- Trichotillomania- This is an irresistible urge to pull out hair from the head and eyebrows, triggered by emotions like stress, tension, loneliness, boredom and frustration
- Alopecia Areata- This is triggered by severe stress. Stress weakens body’s immune system and causes hair fall
- Heredity: Androgenetic alopecia is caused by genetic and environmental factors
- Prolonged Illness: Chronic and deadly diseases like cancer, typhoid and jaundice can trigger hair loss. Since healthy hair is a sign of a healthy physiology, hair fall is usually and indicator of poor health
- Excessive Styling: Chemical treatments like perming and re-bonding, straightening rods and curlers tight rubber bands and hair accessories can cause hair fall
Although salons offer hair treatments that claim to reduce hair fall, and the market is flooded with treatments and shampoos for the same purpose, you can use these 6 home remedies to control hair fall at a fraction of the cost of the former.
It is a good practice to massage your scalp for a few minutes every day with lukewarm oil; this will lead to stimulation of blood flow to the scalp. Coconut oil helps in controlling hail fall. Other oils such as jojoba oil, almond oil, mustard oil, lavender oil also work well for hair fall. Jojoba oil is especially good because it replaces the sebum in the scalp while controlling dandruff
One of the richest known sources of tissue-nourishing plant derivatives, coconut milk works as an excellent hair tonic. Grate the flesh of a coconut, grind it and squeeze it to remove its milk. Massage the coconut milk on the scalp to reduce hair fall
- Massage your head with aloe gel, wait for few hours and then wash the hair with lukewarm water. Repeat twice a week for best results
- Alternatively, you can make your own anti hair fall shampoo. Mix aloe gel, wheat germ oil and coconut milk, apply the mixture to your scalp and rinse with plain water
- Dissolve a small amount of salt in the aloe vera gel and apply the mixture onto your scalp. The sodium present in the salt will penetrate into the deeper layers of your scalp and reduce hair fall
A popular medicinal herb, neem boasts of health and beauty benefits. Neem acts as a natural astringent that helps to keep lice and dandruff at bay.
- Boil neem leaves in water until the water level falls to half its initial quantity and then cool it
- Rinse out your hair with this neem tonic mixture once a week
- Mix curd with black pepper and apply this mixture on your hair. Wash off thoroughly after the mixture has dried
- Mix curd with honey or lime juice and apply this on your hair. This acts as a moisturizing hair mask. It also makes your hair shiny and supple
- Boil dried amla in coconut oil till the oil turns black or a black residue is formed. Massage this oil or residue into your scalp
- Mix amla powder and shikakai powder to make a paste and apply this to your hair. Leave it on for a few minutes and wash off
- Mix powdered amla with lime juice and apply this mixture on your scalp. Leave it for a while and then rinse off
- Soak amla overnight in plain water. Use the water in the morning to rinse off your hair post shampooing
- Drink amla and shikakai juice daily. This tonic works from within to strengthen the hair roots and nourish the scalp
Besides these 6 home remedies to control hair fall, it is important to focus on eating and exercising right. Incorporate foods that are rich in proteins, vitamin A, B complex, vitamins C and E, and iron. Keep your skin hydrated by drinking plenty of water daily. Daily exercise helps in improving hair growth as it improves metabolism, which allows for better absorption of nutrients by the body. Avoid or reduce caffeine intake and make sure you pack in at least seven hours of sleep every night.